READING LITERACY WORKSHOP
JK/SK Interactive Workshop
The author/illustrator will read the book using hand-held puppets then in small groups the children will act out the laminated pages of the book. The author/illustrator will demonstrate how to make a collage then work with the students to create a collage collaboratively.
A special guest appearance by Ruby–a six foot tall red flamingo based on one of the characters in the book. Students will be given an opportunity to ask questions.
As a follow-up activity the class can create their own book. Colouring sheets and customized presentation book provided. Worksheets with dotted lines (suitable for JK students) and without dotted lines (suitable for SK students) are available.
Help your children embrace a love of reading through our fun and powerful workshops. Instill that ever illusive, love of learning in your child through these unique workshops. Unleash their inner creative genius through presenters that are inspiring and engaging. You and your children will become more familiar with tools to improve comprehension, creative writing and reading literacy.
Josephine Vaccaro-Chang is the author/illustrator of the popular children’s book titled, “We Are Colourful Friends.” Her favourite colour is purple and she likes to do arts & crafts.
Josephine holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from The University of Toronto and is a certified Teacher of English as a Second Language. She lives in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada) with her amazing family and colourful friends.
SETUP AND PRICING
- maximum of 30 children
- Teacher and ECE (or volunteer) will lead one group of approximately 10 children in reading and acting out the individual pages of the book
- Length of workshop: approximately 60 minutes. Maximum of 3 workshops per day
- Set-up: Approximately 10 minutes, in a JK/SK classroom
- Clean-up: Approximately 5 minutes
- Ideally an easel and table to layout materials is required. (If an easel is not available the wall can be used.)
- All other materials will be provided by the presenter
- Private office or space to store Ruby (approximately 3′ width x 3′ length x 6′ height)
Pricing per school for 2016 – 2017 school year
- Includes 1 copy of book for school library + 1 copy of book for each class
- $169 for 1st workshop
- Each additional class is $115 (fees include materials)
- Books offered at wholesale cost $5.00 (retail price $7.00).
If students’ names are provided 3 or more days in advance then the author will personally inscribe each book with a note encouraging the child to read the book to his or her family
- 2 or more weeks of lead time for booking is requested
“It was a fantastic presentation. Josephine was terrific with the kids and they were so engaged.”
This is the best day ever!!
It’s a good workshop when students don’t ask to go to the bathroom. None of them asked. It was a great presentation!