READING LITERACY WORKSHOP
Nurturing the Creative Reader
- What is reading (i.e reading vs. comprehension, etc.) and the importance of reading and how it impacts/enhances student success
- What and how schools teach reading in school
- How to foster and create a positive reading environment at home.
- Ways to motivate readers
- Problem solving and how to turn reading into learning opportunities
- Resources and tips to support English language learners and how to preserve your language and culture in the home
- What the parent council and school can do to enhance reading in schools
Help your children embrace a love of reading through our fun and powerful workshops. Instill that ever illusive, love of learning in your child through these unique workshops. Unleash their inner creative genius through presenters that are inspiring and engaging. You and your children will become more familiar with tools to improve comprehension, creative writing and reading literacy.
Elyse Kishimoto’s journey as an author began after she graduated from the University of Toronto with a double-major in politics and philosophy and minor in English literature. Afterword, she pursued a Master’s degree in the Science of Education, as Elyse had always loved interacting, motivating and providing, meaningful guidance for children.
In 2009, Elyse began as an elementary school teacher in Toronto. She especially enjoyed the moments where she could inspire her students with interesting landmarks, history and geography around the world. Although she deeply enjoyed teaching, in 2014 she decided to leave the education profession to travel and pursue her passion of writing. During this time, Elyse published a popular travel blog documenting her experiences.
Today, Elyse is pursuing her writing career and is launching her first novel series, The Dining and Social Club for Time Travellers. Her first book in the series, Divine Intervention, Book One, is currently named one of the Best YA Titles of Winter 2016 by Foreword Magazine.
SETUP AND PRICING
- Length of the workshop: 1 hour including a Q&A period.
- Half day (two 1 hour workshops) cost: $350
- Full Day (three 1 hour workshops) cost: $550
- One hour parent workshop cost: $300
- Discount given for multi-day and multi-school booking. Multi-school deal applies when two or more schools within 8 km of each other book workshops on the same day.
- Eligible for Parents Reaching Out Grant (application content provided) and Writer’s Union Subsidy (subsidy is between $100-150 per school and more if travel costs are applied).
- Each school library receives one free copy after the presentation
- Projector and screen are required at location along with two tables and chairs. Microphone an asset for larger venues.
- Set up time required: 45 minutes
- Take down time required: 15 minutes
Ms. Jenny Wright, said that “Every seat in the library was filled by students at lunch and yet not a noise could be heard as Elyse Kishimoto, author of ‘Divine Intervention: Book One of The Dining and Social Club for Time Travellers’, introduced her new novel to our students. Ms. Kishimoto sold all of her material belongings to travel north and east in order to find inspiration for writing. She persevered through significant doubts and ongoing criticism of her work. In the end, it was her strength and a simple phrase of encouragement that helped her to persevere: ‘I believe in your story; I believe in your talent.’ Thank you to Mrs. Tarulli for organising this opportunity for our students to hear of the success of a determined young woman with vision.”