Grocery Shopping – Numeracy in Action
An interactive workshop for parents of elementary school students (grades 1-8), targeting skills specific to grades 1-3, 4-6 and 7-8.
- strategies for parents to boost children’s confidence and competence in numeracy through engagement in daily, practical use of mathematics
- discussion of the impact of a positive attitude toward the subject
- tips for parents, not all of whom are “math lovers”
- identify examples of numeracy in action in a grocery store
- worksheets for future use at home and during subsequent visits to a grocery store
Ewa (Eva) Kasinska is an enthusiastic and devoted (Ontario Certified) Teacher, in the area of Intermediate and Senior Mathematics. She believes that combining humour, patience and passion for math with high expectations leads to wonderful results.
After over 20 years of active classroom experience and 5 years as vice-principal and principal of a private school, she is now focusing on private tutoring and study coaching as well as public speaking to promote numeracy. Having spent years sharing her passion for the subject, she impacted generations of students, many of whom shone in math competitions, while others were proud to have overcome their math phobias.
Her genuine love of the subject allows her to broaden each topic with historical connections, anecdotes, real-life applications and enrichment opportunities.. Receptive to general attitudes–the anxiety and apprehension many feel towards mathematics–she is committed to positively impacting the community and improving children’s and adults’ numeracy skills.
SETUP AND PRICING
- Length of workshops and presentations: 2 hours
- Cost of workshop or presentation: $350
- Equipment: projector and screen required for laptop hook-up
- Worksheets and writing supplies for participants provided
- One month of lead time before booking is requested
- Grocery Shopping workshop would take place on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday
“Ewa was the teacher that was most directly responsible for my success. Ewa is the type of person who has a profound impact on the people who are lucky enough to find themselves in her classroom. She is the best teacher I ever had.